Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Edward R. Murrow College of Communication

Admit to Major

Admittance to The Edward R Edward R. Murrow College of Communication opens the door for upper-division courses in each of the two communication degrees: Strategic Communication and Journalism and Media Production.


Admit to Major


Students are admitted directly into their desired major in the College of Communication upon admission and enrollment at WSU.

To remain admitted to any major in the College of Communication, a student must complete all required courses and remain in good academic standing.

1COM 300 must be completed with a “C” or better, and only two attempts are allowed and a “W” is counted as an attempt in this course. With an appeal to the department chair, a student may request to take COM 300 for a 3rd attempt during a summer session.

All pre-requisites must be met in order to move through the Murrow curriculum. If a student fails to complete the required curriculum, they will not be able to remain admitted to the Murrow College. If a student is failing to complete academic requirements in a reasonable timeline, an advisor will work with the student to identify another academic path.

Students must remain in good academic standing in order to graduate with a degree from the Murrow College.

Transfer Students:

After consulting a Murrow academic advisor, a student transferring with junior status (60 + credits), with a 3.0 + transfer GPA, and has completed COM 101 or COM 105, will be allowed to take COM 300 in their 1st semester at WSU with all remaining 100-level required courses.


Contact Student Services for more information about certifying as a major or minor

Office: 226 Murrow Hall
Phone: (509) 335-7333

Minor Certification

Students may apply to certify in a Murrow minor after they have certified in a major outside of the Murrow College of Communication, have completed 60 credits, and have a WSU cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better. Students must pass their minor courses and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

For more information and to apply, CONTACT OR VISIT STUDENT SERVICES

Murrow Hall 226

Murrow Student Services