Online BA Integrated Strategic Communication
GET READY TO LAUNCH.
WSU’s online bachelor of arts in Integrated Strategic Comm provides a broad-based curriculum that focuses on both digital and traditional media. Students learn applied principles of advertising and PR and participate in an internship to solve real-world communication problems. Courses are developed and taught by Murrow College faculty who have rich industry experience and a commitment to student success.
Learn to communicate creatively and persuasively to build mutually beneficial, long-term relationships between organizations and their target populations. You can specialize in public relations or advertising and graduate with marketable job skills such as persuasive writing, survey research, digital media, and campaign management. Integrated Strategic Communication is a broad-based degree that provides principles and skills that are highly sought after by companies hiring the next generation of communication professionals.
Students are admitted directly into their desired major in the College of Communication upon admission and enrollment at WSU.
To remain admitted to any major in the College of Communication, a student must complete all required courses and remain in good academic standing.
1COM 300 must be completed with a “C” or better, and only two attempts are allowed and a “W” is counted as an attempt in this course. With an appeal to the department chair, a student may request to take COM 300 for a 3rd attempt during a summer session.
All pre-requisites must be met in order to move through the Murrow curriculum. If a student fails to complete the required curriculum, they will not be able to remain admitted to the Murrow College. If a student is failing to complete academic requirements in a reasonable timeline, an advisor will work with the student to identify another academic path.
Students must remain in good academic standing in order to graduate with a degree from the Murrow College.
After consulting a Murrow academic advisor, a student transferring with junior status (60 + credits), with a 3.0 + transfer GPA, and has completed COM 101 or COM 105, will be allowed to take COM 300 in their 1st semester at WSU with all remaining 100-level required courses.
Murrow College of Communication Core Requirements (18 credits)
- COM 101 – Media and Society
- COM 102 – Public Speaking in the Digital Age
- COM 105 – Communication in Global Contexts
- COM 138 – Communication Overview
- COM 210 – Multimedia Content Creation
- COM 300 – Writing in Communication
Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication
Degree Core Requirements (18 credits)
- COM 309 Quantitative Research Methods
- COMSOC 301 Foundations of Persuasion
- COMSTRAT 310 Digital Content Promotion (210; 300)
- MKTG 360 Marketing (Jr.)
or COMSTRAT 395 Integrated Strategic Comm Management (312 or 380)
REQUIRED: 1 Course from Advanced Media and Society Courses:
- COM 440 Media Ethics (300; Jr.)
- COM 464 Gender and the Media (So.)
- COM 471 Stereotypes in the Media (Jr.)
- COM 479 Youth in the Media (Jr.)
- COMSOC 421 Intercultural Communication & Globalization (Jr.)
300-400-Level Major Electives (9 credits)
300- or 400-level COM, COMJOUR, COMSOC, COMSTRAT courses.
Up to six credits of: COM 495 Internship, COM 497 Practicum, COM 499 Special Problems, and/or pre-approved study abroad communication courses may be used to satisfy the elective requirement.
Exception: COM 399 does not count as Major Elective credit.
Integrated Strategic Communication (21 credits)
- COMJOUR 333 Reporting Across Platforms (210; 300)
- COMSTRAT 312 Principles of Public Relations
- COMSTRAT 380 Advertising Principles & Practices
- COMSTRAT 383 Media Strategies & Techniques for PR (210; 300)
- COMSTRAT 476 Consumer Insights & Branding (309)
- COMSTRAT 485 PR Management & Campaigns (309; 312; 383; Sr.)
- COMSTRAT 495 Strategic Communication Professional Internship (300) (3 credits required)
Please review the online WSU Catalog for additional information about specific degree requirements.
Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester credit hours to earn a BA in Integrated Strategic Communication; at least 30 credits must be from WSU.
All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU’s Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication
Application deadlines: view the master WSU Admission calendar for current application deadlines
Credits: Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester credit hours to earn a BA in Integrated Strategic Communication; at least 30 credits must be from WSU.
Other Requirements: All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU’s Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
There are two primary objectives for the Online Integrated Strategic Communication program.
- Producing quality students who possess the theoretical foundation and practical
knowledge to succeed in their chosen fields and
- Training individuals who will perform at the highest level of both professional and ethical standards.
In keeping with the recommendations of the Commission on Public Relations Education for professional master’s degrees, our program will combine professional skill development with training in ethical decision-making. This dual emphasis seeks to honor the legacy of Edward R. Murrow, our college’s namesake. Murrow set professional standards for what was then the
emerging broadcast news industry. He also was one of the industry’s strongest critics who
urged its practitioners to rise to the industry’s potential for serving justice and for fostering democratic institutions.
Similarly, the goal of the MA Integrated Strategic Communication is to train individuals who will perform at the highest level of both professional and ethical standards, who will both define and improve the industry while in the service of just and democratic societies.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of strategic, entrepreneurial communication skills such as managing online presence, self and organizational presentation, and collaboration in an increasingly global world.
- Ability to gather and assess strategically
relevant information using analyses and research.
- Evidence of professional skills to develop strategic communication campaign materials and implementation of campaign through administration and management, planning, leadership, teamwork, and customer relations.
Washington State University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Careers & Professional Development Services
Integrated Strategic Communication students acquire the skills they need to prepare for careers in corporate communications, social media, community and media relations, advertising and public relations. Jobs are available in public relations firms and advertising agencies as well as in virtually all industries and businesses that require the expertise of communication professionals.
The online BA ISC program is designed for individuals who want to earn their bachelor’s degree in communication and position themselves to be competitive by learning a wide range of technologies, techniques and strategies to communicate key messages. Our students typically have some college experience or are poised to transfer into a degree program after two years at community college. Students are both part-time and full time and many work while completing their degree.
- Average age of students: 18-55
- The ratio of male/female is 30/70
- More than 50% of students seek financial aid assistance
- 7% are active or retired military
- More than half of students take 12-15 credits, others are part time students working full time.
Online BA Integrated Strategic Communication
- Great Value College ranked Online BA ISC #22 out of 50 on their “50 Most Affordable Bachelor’s Degrees in Journalism Online” list (2022)
- Nonprofit Colleges Online ranked BA ISC #41 out of 50 on their “Best Bachelor’s in Communications Online: Students Before Profits” list (2022)
- University HQ ranked BA ISC #19 out of 50 on their “Bachelors in Communications Online Degree Programs” list (2022)
- Best Accredited Colleges ranked BA ISC #26 out of 50 on their “Best Bachelor’s Degrees in PR” list (2022)