Online BA Integrated Strategic Communication
GET READY TO LAUNCH.
WSU’s online bachelor of arts in Integrated Strategic Comm provides a broad-based curriculum that focuses on both digital and traditional media. Students learn applied principles of advertising and PR and participate in an internship to solve real-world communication problems. Courses are developed and taught by Murrow College faculty who have rich industry experience and a commitment to student success.
- Mickinzie Johnson, Recruitment Coordinator, 509-335-7333, email@example.com
(10 semester credits)
Before advancing to upper-division courses required for the degree, students must become certified as an integrated strategic communication major. Students are required to apply for certification. A Global Campus integrated strategic communication academic advisor can provide additional information about the process.
Certification Minimum Requirements:
- Complete the following pre-certification courses:
- Have earned at least 30 semester credits (15 or more from WSU)
- Pass the Murrow College Grammar and Writing Exam (via the COM 138 course)
Students may apply to certify during the semester in which they will complete the requirements listed above.
Certification decisions are based on the number of spots available that semester, cumulative WSU GPA, the number of credits completed, and the applicant’s performance on the Murrow College Grammar and Writing Exam (via the COM 138 course). A cumulative GPA of 3.0 guarantees certification.
Students will take COM 300 in the first semester upon certification.
Core Communication Courses:
(6 semester credits)
Upper Division Communication Courses:
(33 semester credits)
- COM 309 – Quantitative Research Methods
- COMJOUR 333 – Reporting Across Platforms
- COMSOC 301 – Foundations of Persuasion
- COMSTRAT 310 – Digital Content Promotion
- COMSTRAT 312 – Principles of Public Relations
- COMSTRAT 380 – Advertising Principles and Practices
- COMSTRAT 383 – Creative Media Strategies and Techniques
- COMSTRAT 476 – Consumer Insights and Branding
- COMSTRAT 485 – Communication Campaigns and Management
- COMSTRAT 495 – Internship
- MKTG 360 – Marketing
Please review the online WSU Catalog for additional information about specific degree requirements.
Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester credit hours to earn a BA in Integrated Strategic Communication; at least 30 credits must be from WSU.
All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU’s Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication
Application deadlines: view the master WSU Admission calendar for current application deadlines
Credits: Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester credit hours to earn a BA in Integrated Strategic Communication; at least 30 credits must be from WSU.
Other Requirements: All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU’s Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
There are two primary objectives for the Online Integrated Strategic Communication program.
- Producing quality students who possess the theoretical foundation and practical
knowledge to succeed in their chosen fields and
- Training individuals who will perform at the highest level of both professional and ethical standards.
In keeping with the recommendations of the Commission on Public Relations Education for professional master’s degrees, our program will combine professional skill development with training in ethical decision-making. This dual emphasis seeks to honor the legacy of Edward R. Murrow, our college’s namesake. Murrow set professional standards for what was then the
emerging broadcast news industry. He also was one of the industry’s strongest critics who
urged its practitioners to rise to the industry’s potential for serving justice and for fostering democratic institutions.
Similarly, the goal of the MA Integrated Strategic Communication is to train individuals who will perform at the highest level of both professional and ethical standards, who will both define and improve the industry while in the service of just and democratic societies.
 Ibid, p. 4.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of strategic, entrepreneurial communication skills such as managing online presence, self and organizational presentation, and collaboration in an increasingly global world.
- Ability to gather and assess strategically
relevant information using analyses and research.
- Evidence of professional skills to develop strategic communication campaign materials and implementation of campaign through administration and management, planning, leadership, teamwork, and customer relations.
Washington State University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Careers & Professional Development Services
Integrated Strategic Communication students acquire the skills they need to prepare for careers in corporate communications, social media, community and media relations, advertising and public relations. Jobs are available in public relations firms and advertising agencies as well as in virtually all industries and businesses that require the expertise of communication professionals.
The online BA ISC program is designed for individuals who want to earn their bachelor’s degree in communication and position themselves to be competitive by learning a wide range of technologies, techniques and strategies to communicate key messages. Our students typically have some college experience or are poised to transfer into a degree program after two years at community college. Students are both part-time and full time and many work while completing their degree.
- Average age of students: 18-55
- The ratio of male/female is 30/70
- More than 50% of students seek financial aid assistance
- 7% are active or retired military
- More than half of students take 12-15 credits, others are part time students working full time.
“There are times when I get discouraged and wonder if there is going to be any payoff in the end.”
Malfunctions on websites happen all the time but instead of looking at the situation as a negative, this WSU student was able to uncover a degree that interested and excited him. Kenny Jodock originally wanted to be in Data Analytics but when reading the course content for Com 210 (that he stumbled upon because of a website malfunction) he decided to make the switch.
Online BA Integrated Strategic Communication
- Best Colleges ranked the online BA ISC in their Top 25 Best Online Bachelor’s in Communication program
- Online U ranked BA ISC #3 on their Most Affordable Online Colleges – Bachelor’s – Public Relations list
- Great Values Colleges ranked BA ISC #22 in the Top 50 Most Affordable Bachelor’s Degrees in Journalism
- College Factual ranked BA ISC #24 in The Top Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Communication & Media Studies
- College Factual ranked BA ISC #4 in the Most Popular Online Communication & Media Studies Schools
- College Factual ranked BA ISC #7 in Best Communication & Media Studies Schools for Veterans