At the Murrow Symposium, industry professionals are available to sit down with students to discuss resumes, interviewing, even how to be successful in the workplace. From finding that internship to crafting the right resume, even mentorship opportunities – our professionals are here to help you get to the next level.
To meet with a career coach, you’ll need to:
- Dress for success
- Bring a resume
- Have an idea of what you want to do
What should I wear?
Think of it this way: you will meet people for the first time — people you want to impress. How do you dress yourself to reflect the very best you?
- Wear nice pants (like khakis) or a skirt. Do not wear ripped jeans, shorts, baggy pants, or other attire that will attract negative attention.
- Collared shirts are a good choice. Avoid graphic tees, low-cut tops, or tops that are wrinkled or ripped.
- Wear appropriate shoes. Save flip-flops or other beach-related footwear for the beach.
- Suits are always appropriate, though business casual is also acceptable. No pressure; business casual is perfectly fine! No need to purchase a suit for Symposium.
- When in doubt, go for being overdressed rather than underdressed. Consider what clothing helps you feel professional and confident as you network.
What should I bring?
You will have opportunities to network and meet one-on-one with coaches to discuss career goals and your resume. Make sure you bring the following items with you to Symposium:
- Your resume. Even if you think it needs work, bring it with you. This is the place to get resume assistance!
- Business cards. Bring ’em if you got ’em.
- A pen and a small notebook. Because, communication.
- Your mobile device. Make sure to post about your Symposium adventures!