Yen-I Lee is an assistant professor at the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication within the department of strategic communication. Lee comes from the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at University of Georgia where she received her doctorate in mass communication.
Her primary research is in the areas of health communication and strategic public relations, focusing on the role of messaging content, technology use, visual attention, emotions, and cultural psychology in the context of health crisis and risk information. Her current research focuses on the role of framing, visuals, and social media use as well as the mechanisms of visual attention and psychophysiology in decision making in the presence of health crisis and risk misinformation and/or conflicting information.
Her teaching interests and experiences include PR Research, PR Management, and Social Media Analytics. Currently, she teaches Health Communication and PR Management and Campaign Design.
- Bang, H., Choi, D., Wojdynski, B. W., & Lee, Y. I. (Published online, April 2019). How the level of personalization affects the effectiveness of personalized ad messages: the moderating role of narcissism. International Journal of Advertising. DOI: 10.1080/02650487.2019.1590069
- Han, J. Y., Kim, E., Lee, Y. I., Shah, D., & Gustafson, D. (Published online, July 2019). A Longitudinal Investigation of Empathic Exchanges in Online Cancer Support Groups: Message Reception and Expression Effects on Patients’ Psychosocial Health Outcomes. Journal of Health Communication. DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2019.1644401
- Lee, Y. I., Phua, J., & Wu, T. Y. (Forthcoming). Marketing a health brand on Facebook: Effects of reaction icons and user comments on brand attitude, trust, purchase intention, and eWOM intention. Health Marketing Quarterly.
- Lee, Y. I., Zhang, Y., Jin, Y., Kim, S., Martin, E. F., & Smith, J. J. (Forthcoming). Opening the mind’s eye: The pivotal role of sympathy in depression coverage effectiveness. Communication Studies.
- Magsamen-Conrad, K., Wang, F., Tetteh, D., & Lee, Y. I. (Published online, July 2019). Using technology adoption theory and a lifespan approach to develop a theoretical framework for ehealth literacy: Extending UTAUT. Health Communication. DOI: 10.1080/10410236.2019.1641395
- Meng, J., Jin, Y., Lee, Y. I., & Kim, S. (Published online, December 2018). Can Google analytics certification cultivate PR students’ competent in digital analytics? A longitudinal pedagogical research. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator. doi: 10.1177/1077695818816916
- Lee, Y. I., & Jin, Y. (2019). Crisis information seeking and sharing (CISS): Scale development for measuring publics’ communicative behavior in social-mediated public health crises. Journal of International Crisis and Risk Communication Research, 2(1), 13-38. https://doi.org/10.30658/jicrcr.2.1.2
- Choi, D., Bang, H., Wojdynski, B., Lee, Y. I., & Keib, K. (2018). How brand disclosure timing and brand prominence influence consumer’s intention to share branded entertainment content. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 42, 18-31.
- Jin, Y., Zhang, Y., Lee, Y. I., & Tang, Y. (2018). Learn after reading: Effects of news framing and responsibility attribution on Chinese college students’ perceived efficacy in identifying others and themselves with depression. Asian Journal of Communication, 28(1), 55-73. DOI: 10.1080/01292986.2017.1318936
- Keib, K., Espina, C., Lee, Y. I., Wojdynski, B.W., Choi, D., & Bang, H. (2018). Picture this: The influence of emotionally valenced images, on attention, selection, and sharing of social media news. Media Psychology, 21(2), 202-221. DOI: 10.1080/15213269.2017.1378108
- Lee, Y. I., Jin, Y., & Nowak, G. (2018). Motivating influenza vaccination among young adults: The effects of public service advertising message framing and text versus image support. Social Marketing Quarterly, 24(2), 89-103. doi.org/10.1177/1524500418771283
- Jin, Y., Lin, J. S., Gilbreath, B., & Lee, Y. I. (2017). Motivations, consumption emotions, and temporal orientations in social media use: A strategic approach to engaging stakeholders across platforms. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 11(2), 115-132. DOI: 10.1080/1553118X.2017.1285769
- Lin, J. S., Lee, Y. I., Jin, Y., & Gilbreath, B. (2017). Personality traits, motivations, and emotional consequences of social media usage. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 20(10), 615-623. doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2017.0043
- Magsamen-Conrad K., Tetteh, D., Lee, Y. I., Smith, M. (2017). A case study exploring attitudes about people with disability: Evaluating the intergroup communication intervention. Journal of Psychology & Psychotherapy, 7, 321-329. doi: 10.4172/2161- 0487.1000321
- Magsamen-Conrad, K., Tetteh, D., & Lee, Y. I. (2016). Predictors of disability-related attitudes: Considering self-esteem, communication apprehension, contact, and geographic location. Psychology Research and Behavior Management,9, 329-338. doi: 10.2147/PRBM.S113218