Prior to joining the Murrow College, Justin was a faculty member in the Sport Management Program at Washington State University and also in the School of Journalism and Mass Media at the University of Idaho.
Justin’s industry experience stems from his time in New York City at Ruder Finn Inc., where he assisted clients in public relations, advertising, branding and integrated marketing campaigns.
In his final year at RF, Justin researched branding, advertising and integrated marketing trends within social media. Justin’s philosophy as an instructor is to cultivate and promote an atmosphere of openness, creativity, critical thinking and reflection within the classroom.
- The business of collegiate athletics
- Consumer behavior when making purchasing decisions
- Branding, advertising and integrated marketing trends in social media
- Pedagogy and its impact on moral development
- Rhee, Y. C., Barnes J., Carrol, D., & Kim, W. (2018). An examination of the relationship between community identification and team identification. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 12(3).
- Barnes, J., Rhee, Y. C., & Tallent, B. J. (2016). The effect of a social media community on exercise adherence motivation within college students. Media Watch, 7(3), 299-314.
- Stoll, S. K., Barnes, J., & Beller, J. (2015). Death of leading and serving in the professoriate. Journal of Kinesiology and Wellness, 4(2), 25-38.
- Tallent, B. J., & Barnes, J. J. (2015). Think Bubbles and Socrates: Teaching Critical Thinking to Millennials in Public Relations Classes. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 3(7), 43-55.
- Barnicle, S. P., Barnes, J., Lee, A. M. (2014). Closing the deal: Sport enjoyment and the public relations of business golf. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 9(2), 61-69.
- Barnicle, S. P., Barnes, J., Lee, A. M. (2014). A good walk made great: The psychology of business golf. The International Journal of Golf Science, 3(1), 90-100.
- Barnes, J., Barnicle, S. P. & Lee, A. M. (2014). A woman’s guide to climbing the corporate ladder one swing at a time. The Sport Journal, 17(2), 17-29.
- Barnes, J. & Stoll, S. K. (2013). Meeting the learning outcomes: Why pedagogy matters. Reston, VA: Research Consortium, Research Quarterly.
- Barnes, J., Goc Karp, G. G. & Stoll, S. K. (2008). Play fair – Influences on intentional rule violations. Journal of Youth Sports, 3(2), 3-8.
- Book Chapter:
- Barnes, J. (2017). Idaho’s print advertising law. In Tallent, B. J., & Robert, T. J. (3rd Eds.). Mass communication law in Idaho (97-118). Stillwater, OK: New Forums Press.
- Book Contributions:
- Stoll, S. K., Reese, S. K. & Barnes, J. (2008). University of Georgia Football- A test of character: On the field and off. Winning with Character. Athens: GA.
- Stoll, S. K., Barnes, J. & Reese, E. (2007) Virginia Tech Football- A test of character: On the field and off. Winning with Character. Athens: GA.
Contributing Literature to the Media, Pedagogy, Sport, and Recreation Fields:
- Barnes, J. & Tallent, B.J. (2016). The secret: Building success in the National Student Advertising Competition. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology, 6(3), 48-61.
- Tallent, B. J. & Barnes, J. J. (2016). Being ambiguous: Problem solving through teaching ambiguity in IMC classrooms. Review of Journalism and Mass Communication, 4(1), 1-25.
- Barnes, J., Tallent, B.J., & Stoll, S.K. (2015) The Art of Critical Thinking through a Pedagogical Approach. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 8(1), 56-64.