We are excited to launch the Murrow First – Murrow Mentor Program for First Generation Murrow students.
First Generation college students make up 35% of our undergraduate student body in the Murrow College-from all Murrow campuses. (Pullman, Global, Everett and Vancouver)
The Murrow family of alumni and other professional supporters, give back to the Murrow college with their time by mentoring our students to help prepare them for life after Murrow. We are honored to have a dedicated group of professionals from the communication industry that want to support our first-generation students by helping them prepare to launch from Murrow to career or graduate school. In addition, MurrowFirst students have access to an Academic Coach in the Murrow Center for Student Success. Our professional staff that are serving as coaches were first gen themselves, and we want to connect our MurrowFirst students to a coach for support and assistance.
To be eligible to participate in the MurrowFirst Program, you must meet the following criteria and expectations:
- First generation college student
- Admitted in one of our Murrow majors: Broadcast news, Production, Multi-Media Journalism, Media and Technology, Integrated Strategic Communication, Advertising, Public Relations, or Risk and Crisis Communication
- Committed to meeting with your Murrow Mentor throughout the semester and academic year through to graduation via zoom, phone, email and in person when able
- Meet with an Academic Coach at least once per semester
- Attend MurrowFirst orientation and workshops