Certification in The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication opens the door for upper-division courses in each of the three communication degrees: Strategic Communication, Journalism and Media Production, and Communication and Society.
Minimum Requirements for Certification:
- Complete the following pre-certification courses:
- COM 101 Media and Society
- COM 102 Public Speaking in the Digital Age
- COM 105 Communication in Global Contexts
- COM 138 Communication Overview
- Pass the Murrow College Grammar and Writing Exam (via the COM 138 course)
- Complete at least 30 semester credit hours, 15 in residence at WSU
- Complete the online application
Students apply online during the semester the final requirements are to be completed.
Certification in the Murrow College is based on the following:
- Number of available seats;
- Applicant’s cumulative WSU GPA;
- Number of credits completed at the time of application; and
- Applicant’s performance on the Murrow College Grammar and Writing Exam (via the COM 138 course).
The top students are certified based on the number of spots available that semester. Transfer course grades will NOT be used to calculate the cumulative WSU GPA. All prospective students are encouraged to apply, provided they are on-track to complete the requirements for certification listed above.
If you have 30 credits (15 WSU credits) and a 3.0 GPA you are guaranteed to certify. If your cumulative GPA is less than a 3.0 we still STRONGLY encourage you to apply.
Certify through CougSync
- Log in to CougSync.wsu.edu
- Look for the Murrow College of Communication page
- Click on Murrow College Certification Application
Contact Student Services for more information about certifying as a major or minor
Office: 226 Murrow Hall
Phone: (509) 335-7333
Students may apply to certify in a Murrow minor after they have certified in a major outside of the Murrow College of Communication, have completed 60 credits, and have a WSU cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better. Students must pass their minor courses and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
For more information and to apply, CONTACT OR VISIT STUDENT SERVICES
Murrow Hall 226