We Are Murrow.
We are storytellers. We communicate truth with integrity.
We are explorers. We seek to add knowledge to the global media conversation through research.
We are inclusive. We make knowledge accessible and share insight with the greater community.
We are innovators. We set industry standards for the responsible use of technology.
We are Murrow. We strive to be pioneers and influencers in the industry, our name synonymous with communications excellence.
Edward R. Murrow was a giant of the broadcast news industry. His dedication to simple, effective communication and his courage and desire to educate the world about the events of his time continue to live on in the spirit of the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication at Washington State University.
The mission of the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication is to expand Edward R. Murrow’s legacy through the embodiment of his values and expertise to serve the evolving fields of communication and mass communication.
To accomplish this mission the College facilitates articulate, effective, ethical communication on the part of individuals and institutions.
- To provide a professionally-oriented, skills-based undergraduate education that emphasizes experiential learning and excellence in writing, speaking and digital communication skills.
- To develop in students the understanding and ability necessary to communicate articulately to global and diverse audiences, accentuating an entrepreneurial mindset with social responsibility.
- To develop meaningful, productive collaborations among Murrow College students and other units at WSU, relevant external organizations, communication professions and society in ways that facilitate clear, effective and ethical communication on the part of individuals and institutions.
- To expand opportunities for research and graduate education at the cutting edge of communication scholarship contributing to the greater society by increasing our understanding of health, science, public affairs and related areas of scholarship.
- To continue to cultivate a strong internal foundation for the Murrow College of Communication allowing it to efficiently and effectively serve the needs of faculty, staff and students on all WSU campuses, ultimately contributing to citizens’ quality of life in our state, nation and world.