Certification Application available now!
Deadline – July 12th
Certification of the major in Communication is required for enrollment in all College of Communication 300- and 400-level courses.
Students apply online during the semester the final requirements are to be completed. Certification in the Murrow College is based on the following: the number of available seats, the applicant’s cumulative WSU GPA, the number of credits completed at the time of application and the applicant’s performance on the Murrow College Grammar and Writing Exam. The top students are certified based on the number of spots available that semester. Transfer course grades will NOT be used to calculate the cumulative WSU GPA. All prospective students are encouraged to apply, provided they are on-track to complete the requirements for certification listed below.
Minimum Requirements for Certification:
- Completion of the following pre-certification courses:
- COM 101 Mass Communication, Society and Theory
- COM 105 Communication in Global Contexts*
- COM 138 Introduction to Communication
- Passed the Murrow College Grammar and Writing Exam (via the COM 138 course)
- Have completed at least 30 semester credit hours, 15 in residence at WSU.
- Complete the online application. (Note: The Fall 2013 application will be available soon!).
*COM 245 may be substituted for COM 105.
NEW!! Guaranteed Certification – MUST APPLY BY March 1st
If you have 30 credits (15 WSU credits) and a 3.0 GPA you are guaranteed to certify for the fall semester. If your GPA is less than a 3.0 GPA we STRONGLY encourage you to apply.